As a homeowner in Sacramento, you may occasionally need to deal with a clogged drain. Drain clogs result from the buildup of soap or grease as well as accidental flushing of food remnants, hygiene products and other substances that do not belong in the pipes. In many cases, cleaning a drain with an auger is a DIY project that you can complete within a few hours using these steps. If these steps do not work for you, you may need to contact our drain cleaning service in Sacramento. Our professional plumbers at Indoor Comfort Services have the tools and experience to get your drains fixed quickly and at an affordable price.
- Begin by cleaning out the sink. You will need a bucket, old rags or towels and rubber gloves to protect yourself and the floor from the mess that the clog may create. Any debris, water or filters should be removed before you continue to the next step.
- Pull the cable out of the auger.
- Feed the auger into the drain opening. Continue to feed the cable into the drain until you feel it hit the blockage.
- Once you have reached the blockage in your drain, twist the auger to work at loosening the clog.
- Continue to twist the auger as you pull it back and forth around the area of the clog.
- Turn on the hot water to see if the blockage has been loosened by your efforts. If the water does not pass through the drain, you will need to continue to work on the blockage in the pipe or call for professional assistance.
- You can also try to auger directly into the pipe’s attachment through the wall, although you will need more tools to disconnect the pipes.
Using a drain snake to clear a drain works for most minor clogs. At Indoor Comfort Services, we have professional equipment that clears out the stubborn clogs that your auger cannot get. When you need professional assistance to clean your home’s drains, call us at 916-993-3510 for prompt, professional and affordable service.